Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reflections on the lost cell-phone

My wife recently lost her newly purchased Nokia mobile handset, while using the public transport. But, what is the fuss? Every day, people either lose something or gain

something, and for my wife it was no different — she just lost a mobile handset of about 50k, which I had gifted on her birthday.

No, I am not upset about it; neither had I scolded her as any semi-intelligent husband might have done in such a situation. All right, the big worry is that I am waiting for the lost mobile set to return. As if any wise husband would do, I am waiting for the person who might have found the mobile handset, to return it. It has been a long wait already, and I am still wondering, why the woman operator after dialling into her number says, “the number you have dialled is switched off”. Maybe, the lost mobile phone has been by someone, I mean some human (not monkey), who has voluntarily switched off the mobile phone.

Mobile technology has progressed vastly in recent years. It has been upgraded with performance, battery life, operating system, child safety, camera and what not. Nevertheless, it still lacks traceable technology (suitable enough to find it) when a person loses it involuntarily. On the other hand, consumers do not always necessarily record their phone’s IMEI number —which is a unique manufactured number given for each handset. If this number is known, one might possibly track their expensive handset. I put “possibly” because I am no mobile expert and this in surely not my domain of research.

Some mobile operators also give special services to their customer when they lose their SIM card. After this bitter mobile losing experience, I found that one could visit the mobile service operator’s office and ask for the same SIM card. How can I not bring forth philosophical ideologies of Buddha and our Nepalese stereotype in this context? Why are you saying that you are a Nepalese, if you do not obey the teachings of Buddha? Some of his moral attributes: honesty, loyalty and bravery are three pillars of our Nepalese individualism.

Meanwhile, I do want to make a point on honesty and loyalty. People lose their belongings daily, and those who find them would never like to return them. Why? Never mind, I have to re-consider buying her a new handset.



Published: The Himalayan Times
Editorial section: Topics

Added At:  2011-07-05 10:25 PM
Last Updated At: 2011-07-06 10:25 PM

2 comments:

connect infosoft said...

Thanks for writing such a great article. I like this.
Actually I was searching for passport and visa services for newyork, and one person told me that a company name itseasyservices.com in newyork is providing good services. Please suggest me regarding this.

call Pakistan said...

I have never heard of a person who has found his phone after he has lost it. Even if you have your IMEI code written, the chance to find the handset is minimal.