Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cricketing country

OCT 23 -
Cricket is always regarded as a gentleman’s game. This mental attitude is very important in the game of cricket; this is the game of battle played with both hearts and minds. This game, of bat and ball is Australia and England’s national game. There is no doubt that has become like a religion in India. And if cricket is has become a religion in India, then obviously, Sachin Tendulkar is the god of the game.
I have been great fan of Sachin from my childhood days. I have loved the way he bats, fields and bowls in both one day and test matches. If anyone has ever played cricket then they must be aware of the great Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. However, the cricket game, in particular is bigger than any personal legend or name. I have learned that no game is won individually. The team effort plays a vital role in the success or failure of the game. Nevertheless, it does not matter if we lose or win the game, what matters most is the way the game is played.




In my opinion, this sport is catching up and emerging in Nepal as well. Personally, I have participated in one national game and several league games. And from what I’ve seen, I believe that Nepal has the potential to play World Cup Cricket game one day. I have always imagined Nepal and Nepali players playing with big players the likes of Sachin. Someday, I hope this too can be achieved.
The problems with cricket in Nepal are several. First, the cricket grounds are not well prepared. Second, the players are not given any benefits. Third, compared to other cricket powerhouses, there are not good coaches and physical trainers in the country. Fourth, the media attention and sponsorships given to the sport are limited. And lastly, there are not enough
competitions held at all levels: district, municipality and national. There are surely solutions to overcome these problems. Some of the right solutions would be to engage people, sponsors, and media people and engage more players into the game. Sometimes, I feel sad that I no longer play cricket, something I had to give it up due to my age. But I still polish my heart when I see my brothers and colleagues playing. It does not matter if I am not the one representing the Nepali cricket team. What matters most to me is that Nepal is being represented and Nepali players are competing in a big arena.

If we make improvements to national facilities to play this so called gentleman’s game, I believe the next Sachin may emerge from our Himalayan land. Providing solutions to above mentioned problems, in a few years, we could be playing at a World Cup Cricket match.
If we really love the game and have the passion to fight, Nepal can surely win the hearts and minds of cricket lovers across the world.



Published: The Kathmandu Post
Source: ekantipur online

No comments: