Monday, March 22, 2010

Hard Truth

Death of former Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala, popularly known as Girijababu, has shocked the nation. Death is a bitter reality that no power, religion, scientific endeavour or pill can prevent. It is a harsh and fundamental truth that each one of us must face it someday.

I remember a piece of wisdom my grandfather passed on to me before he died. He told me to recite this mantra daily: “I am going to die someday. But I am not sad about it today. If I am sad today of dying someday, then how am I supposed to live and do something today?”

I don’t know if this mantra really works. I suppose only a few of my learned readers may accept this philosophical convention. But it really does inspire and encourage me to live life to the fullest without being worried about death.

One invariable fact about life is that it will come to an end. But, it is not the destination that counts, rather the process by which one reaches the destination. If one fully lives their life on a day-to-day basis, one is bound to live a happier, healthier life. Despite this knowledge, many fear death. Imagine a scenario where somebody is standing in front of you, pointing a revolver towards your face. In such a scenario, one is bound to fear death. But fearing death for no present reason is not wise.

Before going any further on death, one has to understand the magnitude of fear, including the pain and suffering that the fear of death can cause. After reading several religious scriptures, I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of interesting ideas about death. For example, in the Bible, the ‘coming back’ of Jesus Christ is mentioned. Similarly, some Muslim scholars believe in the ‘coming back’ of the Prophet Mohammad. Hindus also believe in the concept of chaurasi janma. My childish mind doubts this though, without any proper reason to give. I believe that, take it or leave it, everyone has to die one day, and that is the only truth of this so-called, ‘human life’.

Life is not like a game of cricket where in one match if you are clean bold, you can come up fresh in the very next match. To me, life is about living in the present moment and feeling happy and thankful for being alive. It is about cherishing the memories of the past, creating new ideas and innovations in the present, learning from peers, and loving everything that has been placed front of us.

Sadly, our Girijababu is no longer with us, but his legacy and contributions to Nepali politics and the country will always be remembered forever.


Published: The Kathmandu Post
Post Platform

Source: eKantipur

No comments: