Thursday, March 6, 2008

Missing dot's.



I got a good comment on my previous article stating that their are lots of ifs and buts why only ifs and buts, well responding to my readers point of view I would say that-it is because their are lots of ifs and buts in our own life, every decision we make and every decision we take is based on ifs and buts.

Take an example of waking up in early morning, either I should wake up or i should sleep more.Now after one wakes up then you decide to do your morning activities either I should do my morning activities or I should take my morning coffee this is why their are lots of ifs and buts in that previous article. Here I am not criticizing my dear reader but i am supporting his point of view and trying to defend, and convince him at the same time.

Now, Let me jump to todays interesting topic of learning Finnish in 3 minutes. I am just a newbie in the language of this country, and I would like to make an apology before teaching you Finnish that I am using English Keyboard so please do not use it for serious purposes, their will be missing dots . One special form of language where you have to puts dots in characters like a, o, etc.

Let's start with basic-

add dots in last two a's
Hyvaa - Good
Hyvaa Huomenta - Good + Morning

Add Hyvaa and dots in last two a's in these words such as,

Paivaa- Day
iltaa - Evening
amulla- morning
illalla- evening
yota - night (dots in o and a)

One of the most important word in Finnish is (Kiitos-Thank you)

paljon ! Ole hyva /Ei kesta
a lot you're welcome/ Not to mention.

Anteeksi, en ymmarra (dots in both a's). En(I don't) puhu(speak) suomea(Finnish)

Now, lets jump to hi and hello-

Mita(add dots in a)Kuuluu ?
How are you ?

samoin- same
anteeksi-sorry
ei se mitaan(puts the dots in a's)-I apologies

If you wish to say NO(Ei, En, Em) these are used depending upon the verbs used in Finnish.

viikonloppua- holiday
lomaa-christmas
joulua-summer

One of the basic question when you arrive to Finland in the Helsinki airport and somebody may ask you that

Minka(add dots in a) maalainen sina(add dots in a) olet ? that means-
Of which nationality are you ?

Olen suomalainen (Finnish)
amerikkalainen(American)

carry on and add "lainen" at the end of name of the countries.But their are some exception to this.

Do remember to say that if you are not Finnish then tell,

Oletko sina(add dots in a) suomalainen ?
Are you finnish ?
Joo, olen- Yes I am
En ole suomalainen- No I am not Finnish.
Olen italialainen- I am italian.

Now, Some more basics- Kuka sina(add dot's in a) olet ? which means who are you ?
Mina(add dots in a) olen mybheja. (I am mybheja)


One of the important word for both male and female is "han" it means both "he/she". This is one of my favorite. I like it because even two boys can marry in this country and that is legal. No proudly girls anymore !

Let's now learn some numbers-(Numerot)

yksi-one
kaksi-two
kolme-three
nelja(dot's in a)-four
viisi-five
kuusi-six
seitseman(dots in a)-seven
kahdeksan-eight
yhdeksan(dots in a)-nine
kymmenen-ten

yksi+toisa-eleven

Now add toista in those above numbers. Let's say you have to multiply(kerta) two numbers.

seven(seitseman) * seven(seisteman)= fourteen(neljatoista) and so on...

20= kaksikymmenta (add dot's in a)
27=kaksikymmentaseitseman (add dot's in a)

and add "kymmenta" at the end and so on.

These are some basic Finnish language, which are not enough but these will make you a bit comfortable when you come to visit in Finland for the first time and you do not have to be embarrassed like me. When I came here for the first time, I asked something with an old man and he did not replied anything. I was shocked and I thought well, It may be because either he is deaf or I am stupid. But later I came to realize that if Finnish people do not know anything they won't speak.

"you will succeed in every way, if you know what to say."

It is very fascinating and interesting to be here in Finland. If you are human-you must at least visit this country once in your life time because, here lives a nature god. I will talk about this later in much more detail. Now, Some of vulgar words also coming up which you will never forget. The missing dot's in the world is here. You need to have heart and courage to find it.

(Picture taken from:
http://www.touchoffinland.com/images/14599.jpg)

No comments: